5.10.2011

Getting two birds with one tree?

So. We have this tree outside our dining room window. And it has recently come to our attention that it is apparently quite a popular place to give birth.


Lest you think I am talking about human births in our tree (which would be, of course, quite eco-chic but also incredibly awkward--just imagine the dinner conversations! On second thought, please don't.)--I'll get to the point of what is actually being born in this tree:

You can just see the babies peeking out from underneath her.

 Yes, we have not just one mama bird using our tree as a hatching spot, but two: the mourning dove above and a robin. We've been watching them for a few days now, and we think that the babies all hatched sometime within the past 24 hours!

Fuzzy blurs=robin babies. I promise.

We tried to get better pictures of them (picture me hanging out the window, taking a picture and singing Happy Birthday to the baby birdies while smiling politely at the neighbors that walked by, as Rick tried to keep Gingerbread from launching herself into the tree and singing her own evil version of Happy Birthday to the tune of the Jaws theme song) but Mama Robin was a bit shy and flew away every time I came near. I don't think it was because of my singing, either.





Those tiny baby birdies, so dependent on their mothers but so perfectly and wonderfully formed, are just another reminder of God's amazing hand in this world He has created. As the old hymn goes, "His eye is on the sparrow, so I know He's watching me." And in Luke 12:6-7: "Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: you are of more value than many sparrows."

If you're in the northeast like I am, I hope you're enjoying the beautiful outdoors and this beautiful weather! :)

3 comments :

  1. Carol@thedesignpages6/01/2011

    I love it. We have a robin mama and her babies living under our deck. Yesterday I watched the mom dive bomb a crow who was getting too close the nest. Don't mess with a mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly @ VATW6/01/2011

    So cool! Leave it to you to take the bird trend to a whole new level! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda@Serenity Now6/01/2011

    Oh, how cool!! We've had the same house finch couple build a nest on our deck light fixture for 2 years now. Thanks for the visit. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...